Friday, January 30, 2015

Five Senses

I've taught the Five Senses many different ways, but I think my favorite is combining it with my Gingerbread Man unit.  Many years ago, I acquired this Gingerbread Senses booklet from Kinderlit. I love how there is a space on each page for the students to write what sense they are working on.  I use a combination of art and picture hunts in magazines to fill out the pages of this booklet.

Red glitter glue on the tongue provides
a "bumpy" surface for the sense of touch.

A bunch of toys that can be heard!



Cinnamon is added to this gingerbread girl
to use our sense of smell.


Here is the link to this booklet:

Another oldie but goodie is a fun sense of smell activity from the Aims Center for Math and Science. I've been using this activity for 15 years!  It looks like it's been updated.  I like to do Eggs Full of Sound whole class.  Mystery items are placed in plastic eggs, and as I shake them the students have to guess what is inside.  Once the sound is revealed, the students glue the matching picture onto the correct space on their paper  "egg carton".  What fun!


This activity may be old, but it's still available as a digital download at

No comments:

Post a Comment